As the temperature continues to climb and music festival season swells to a crescendo, mastering the hair trifecta of function, style, and the elusive aura of effortlessness has been at the top of our to-do list. Fortunately for you musical mavens, we’ve got a roster full of infallible ‘dos that’ll withstand a weekend of dancing, singing, and just about any weather condition.
Our hairstyling team at Medulla & Co. invited some of Toronto’s savviest social media gals to a mini festival of our own, complete with craft beer from Toronto brewery, , and summer style staples from , sported festival must-haves, including off-the-shoulder pieces, a ‘90s inspired choker, and—of course—round sunnies.
Playing up the peace-loving, sway like the lazy ocean vibe, Christina’s hair was swept into a braided up-do with wicked pops of colour. The end result: daring half-up mini double buns. Putting a fun, unexpected twist on classic hairstyles like braids and buns keeps the hair both secure and stylish. Plus, it’s guaranteed to set you apart from the sea of flower crowns, and get you rocking the mane stage in no time.
- Braided Up-Do with Pops of Colour
- This first step is the easiest—skip the shampoo! This up-do works the best with day-old hair (perfect for musical marathons like WayHome
- Part hair into a severe side part
- Add a three-inch weft of colourful hair extensions and start to braid hair into an inside out (aka standard) braid. Continue this on the other side and secure with bobby pins
- Gently tug on the braids to add volume and pull out some face-framing tendrils to achieve boho goddess status
- Half-Up Mini Double Buns
- Again, start with second-day hair to ensure maximum texture and hold. Whatever the hair’s natural texture is, leave it and work within it!
- Part hair as if you were going to be putting your hair half up. Once you’ve done this, split the section in half and style in a messy topknot. The messier, the better, to score the “perfectly undone” look
- Tame flyaways and frizz with Pureology’s Colour Fanatic Spray (available at Medulla & Co.)
Bobby pins and hair elastics
3-inch weft of colourful hair extension
Pureology Colour Fanatic Spray, a multitasking workhorse specially designed for colour-treated hair. This spray uses fennel seed extract and a blend of camelina, coconut, and olive oils to prime, perfect, and protect your tresses under the beating summer sun
Tuck extra bobby pins into your fanny pack before the festival begins to pin away any wayward flyaways and feel secure as you dance the night away.
In look one, Christina is featured wearing a Gilbert white romper , choker and Komono sunglasses . In look two, Christina is wearing a Lovers and Friends teal pom pom dress and Quay sunglasses.
MODEL: CHRISTINA CREVERO
PHOTOGRAPHY: SHINGIE PHOTOGRAPHY
HAIR: KELLY ARAUJO Medulla & Co, Queen Street
MAKE-UP: ANGELA MIN