Are you tired of dealing with frizzy, unmanageable, and damaged hair? If the answer is yes, then a keratin treatment might be the perfect solution for you. Smoothing treatments, and Keratin treatments in particular, have gained immense popularity in recent years and for good reason. These treatments are designed to improve the overall health and appearance of hair, leaving it smooth, shiny, and more manageable. There’s nothing about that we don’t love.
What is Keratin?
Keratin is a naturally occurring protein that makes up a significant portion of our hair, skin, and nails. It is responsible for providing strength, flexibility, and resilience to our hair. Over time, factors like heat styling, chemical treatments, age, and environmental aggressors can weaken the keratin in our hair, leading to damage, frizz, and breakage.
What is a Hair Keratin Treatment?
A hair keratin treatment is a professional salon service that aims to replenish the lost keratin in your hair by filling in the gaps where keratin has been depleted, making hair look and feel healthier. The treatment involves applying a keratin-rich solution to your hair, which is then sealed in using heat. This process helps to repair damage, reduce frizz, and improve the overall health and appearance of your hair.
What Causes Frizzy Hair?
Frizzy hair occurs when the outer layer of your hair, known as the cuticle, becomes raised and allows moisture to penetrate the hair shaft, (think of broken shingles on a roof). This causes the hair to swell and creates that dreaded frizzy appearance.
Benefits of Hair Keratin Treatment:
- Frizz Reduction: One of the most noticeable benefits of a keratin treatment is the significant reduction in frizz and flyaways. The treatment helps to smooth the hair cuticle down, making it less prone to friction to the cuticle which causes frizz.
- Improved Manageability: With smoother, less frizzy hair, you'll find that your hair becomes much easier to manage day-to-day, and is a healthier option than other straightening treatments, or the use of hot tools every day. This means less time spent on styling and detangling, and more time enjoying your healthy, beautiful hair.
- Damage Repair: While you can't completely reverse hair breakage, by replenishing the lost keratin in your hair, a keratin treatment helps to repair existing damage in the hair shaft, and prevent further breakage to the hair. This can be especially beneficial for those with chemically treated or excessive heat-damaged hair.
- Shine and Softness: Keratin treatments help restore the natural shine and softness of your hair, giving it a healthier and more youthful appearance.
- Long-lasting Results: Depending on your hair type and the specific treatment used, the results of a keratin treatment can last anywhere from 2-6 months.
Is Hair Keratin Treatment Right for You?
While hair keratin treatments can be highly beneficial for many people, they may not be suitable for everyone. It is essential to consult with our hair smoothing specialist to determine if a keratin treatment is right for your hair type and needs or if there is an alternative treatment for your needs. Generally, keratin treatments are best suited for those with:
- Frizzy, unmanageable hair
- Unruly textured hair
- Chemically treated or heat-damaged hair
- Hair that lacks shine and softness
How to Take Care Post Treatment:
To ensure the best results, avoid washing your hair right after you've had a keratin treatment and refrain from using any hair styling products for at least 48 hours. It’s also advised to avoid touching it or putting it up for three days post-treatment to prevent denting. If your hair happens to get a bend while you sleep, use a hairdryer to smooth your hair.
When it’s time to wash your hair, make sure to use a sodium and sulfate free shampoo. This is to maintain treatment results, as the sulfate is a “stripping” agent that will remove the keratin over time. Our smoothing treatment specialist recommends using Oribe’s Hair Alchemy shampoo for it’s fortifying properties to build resilience in fragile hair.
A weekly hydrating mask is essential as well to maintain the longevity of the treatment. The keratin treatment will have your hair feeling rough due to the nature of the protein concentration, and a hydrating mask will help counteract this. TO112 Mega Moisture Mask is perfect to hydrate, and restore hair’s elasticity without weighing your hair down.
And finally, don’t skip on the heat protector! To prevent further damage and to keep the longevity of your treatment, using a heat protector is a must. Olaplex no 7 works as a heat protector, and a bond repairer, so this will help shield your hair from the damaging effects of heat styling of up to 450 degrees, while it continues to repair your hair. It also protects your hair from harmful UV rays, and can be applied to either damp or dry hair.
Keratin smoothing treatment can be a game-changer for those struggling with frizzy, damaged, and unmanageable hair, and looking for a long-term solution to straight, smooth hair. By replenishing the lost keratin in your hair, these treatments can help improve hair health, reduce frizz, and restore shine and softness. Achieving the healthy, beautiful hair you've always wanted just became easy.